The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has more than 100 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the Federation of Genealogical Societies.
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct one day seminars and occasional public help sessions.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month at the Mary Lib Saleh Euless Public Library, 201 N. Ector, Euless, Texas. Visitors are welcome.
6:30 p.m. – Social and Beginners' Workshop
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
Strategy for Addressing a Brick Wall:
In the show notes for the Genealogy Gems Podcast #201, Kate Eakman of Legacy Tree Genealogists, in response to a listener’s question, describes how to conduct a reasonably exhaustive search when a family can’t be found in a particular census enumeration. http://lisalouisecooke.com/2017/01/missing-census/
RootsTech 2017 Videos.
Video recordings of selected presentations are now available online at: https://www.rootstech.org/
. The 42 presentations are organized by day of the week.
National Archives Fort Worth First Friday Workshops:
The National Archives Fort Worth has published their schedule of first Friday workshops for 2017
. Check our Meetings & Events
tab for the complete list of dates and topics.
Texas Institute of Genealogical Research:
Registration for the Texas Institute of Genealogical Research, May 22-25, 2017 in Austin is now open. Visit the Texas State Genealogical Society's Web site to learn more about this new Institute, including faculty profiles, the schedule and description of classes, venue and lodging information: http://www.txsgs.org/texas-research-institute
Beginning Genealogy Workshops
: The Fort Worth Genealogical Society is again offerin eight classes (on the 4th
Saturday of each month January through August) for beginners and other interested individuals. Check our Meetings & Events
tab for the complete list of dates and topics.
Legacy Family Tree has released their schedule of 2017 Free Family History Webinars
. All 76 live webinars are free and their recordings are free to watch for the first 7 days.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Note you must re-enroll every year to participate.
Beginning in September, every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
MCGS Meeting: Breaking Through Your Genealogy Brick Walls: A Case Study
Pre-recorded Webinar of Crista Cowen, The Barefoot Genealogist.
MCGS Meeting: Genealogical Resources at the Arlington Family History Center
The Arlington Texas Family Search Center is hosted by the Arlington Texas Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) -- the Mormons -- in coordination with other LDS congregations in the region. The center is hosted by volunteers from local ...
MCGS Event: Group Trip to the Arlington Family History Center
The Arlington Family Search Center is hosted by the Arlington Texas Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) -- the Mormons -- in coordination with other LDS congregations in the region. The center is hosted by volunteers from local ...
MCGS Meeting: Identifying Ancestors in Old Photographs
Presenter: MCGS member Ann McKee Note: This month we will meet in the Genealogy & Local History Room.
MCGS Meeting: Genealogical Resources at the TCC Heritage Room
Presenter: Tom Kellam, Archivist. After 23 years with the Fort Worth Public Library, archivist Tom Kellam made his way to Tarrant County Community College's Northeast Campus’ Heritage Room to help with the organization, restoration and maintaining of the TCC and ...