MCGS welcomes all who share an interest in family history in the Hurst, Bedford, and Euless Texas area!
The Mid Cities Genealogical Society invites you to explore our website and consider becoming a member of our society.
Organized in June 1978, MCGS supports genealogists living in and researching in the DFW Mid Cities area.
It is a society for everyone, from the beginner to the most advanced genealogist.
We are now meeting in person! Please join us on the third Monday of each month at 2 pm at the Bedford Public Library (2424 Forest Ridge Dr., Bedford, Texas). For information about joining, please see our Join Us page.
All visitor's welcome!
Calling all members
Our newsletter needs your stories!
We have a great newsletter, but do you know what would make it even better? Your contributions!
Even though we love to see long family history articles filled with tons of research and details, they don't all have to be that. Do you have something interesting to share that you've discovered in your research? Have you found an online tool or research method that has been working well for you? Please share those things with our editor and the first thing you know you may be able to tell your friends and family you are a published author. Email email@example.com
In addition to our monthly meetings, we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one-day seminars, and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research page.
Scroll down this page to review our participation in the Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor programs.
Need help with your research? MCGS has provided a variety of free resources.
Although the FamilySearch Web site might provide basic information from a document, frequently the original document contains more information. To use the Lookup service, use the online request form
to request a copy of the image of the original document.
Requests may take a few weeks to process, depending on the volume of requests being handled at a given time. Click here for more info.
Genealogical Conferences in 2022. Thomas MacEntee of GenealogyBargains.com
has made available over two dozen free easy-to-use "cheat sheets"
covering wide variety of genealogical topics. He says: "Please SHARE these two-sided cheat sheets with your genealogy friends and fellow genealogy society members!"
Many of the conferences were virtual again last year (2021). Here are some of the schedules for this year. The conferences, when virtual, are a great opportunity to attend without having to leave home.
- Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy will next be held January 23-27, 2023. https://slig.ugagenealogy.org/index.php. It will be a virtual event via Zoom.
- Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRIP) Institute dates for 2022 will be: June 19-24, 2022 and July 10-15, 2022. To signup for email notifications go to www.gripitt.org/future-courses
- RootsTech is held every year. The next institute will be March 1-4 in 2023. It is slated to be held at the Salt Lake Convention Center.
Blaine Bettinger's YouTube Channel.
Covers DNA topics
including the latest tools released by Ancestry and MyHeritage.
Kroger Community Rewards & Amazon Smile Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
We also participate in Amazon Smile (On your first visit to Amazon Smile specify Mid-Cities Genealogical Society as a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. They will remember your selection, and then every subsequent eligible purchase you make at Amazon Smile will result in a donation.) |
HistoryGeo.com Map Tools: Finding Your Ancestors, Their Neighbors, and Their Homeplaces
Speaker: Greg Boyd HistoryGeo.com produces the largest map of U.S. first-landowners (12.5+ million among 30 states). Greg Boyd will demonstrate both the First-Landowners and the new Placefinder+Topos tools. You will learn to use both of thee to answer questions and ...
Writing Your LIfe Story
Speaker: Robyn Conley Robyn Conley, the Book Doctor, speakers and writes about writing, editing, and marketing what you write. She has taught the mechanics of writing and publishing--as well as writing as a healing therapy--at TCU, UTA, and hundreds ...
The December 19, 2022, meeting is our annual Christmas social which includes a pot luck luncheon and exchange of gifts. Please watch this space for more details to come!