The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has more than 100 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the Federation of Genealogical Societies.
Benefits of Membership:
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one day seminars and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research and brick wall assistance pages.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month at the Mary Lib Saleh Euless Public Library, 201 N. Ector, Euless, Texas. Visitors are welcome.
6:30 p.m. – Social and Beginners' Workshop
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
Recreating the Public Record Office of Ireland Before the 1922 Fire
. An exciting new project – Beyond 2022
– has launched with ambitious aims to digitally recreate the six-storey building and contents of the Public Record Office of Ireland at the time of its destruction on 30 June 1922.
The project will include a virtual reality reconstruction of the building. It will also assemble a complete inventory of loss and survival from the fire and serve as a vital hub to present surviving records and substitute copies identified in archives and other repositories around the world.
Find A Grave Tutorial Videos Updated.
Marilyn Hay has updated her Find A Grave tutorials, which can be found on our Instructional Videos page
in the Members Only area.
Legacy Family Tree Series of Free Webinars 2018.
MyHeritage and FamilyTreeWebinars.com have announced that registration is now open for its 2018 Legacy Family Tree Webinar Series. Choose from 106 classes from genealogy's leading educators on topics ranging from to Jamestown to England, from DNA to online privacy, and from Geni and MyHeritage to Legacy. More info here.
Hotel Reservations Now Open for 2018 Family History Conference. Reserve your hotels rooms
for the 40th NGS Family History Conference, 2-6 May 2018, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Note you must re-enroll every year to participate.
Beginning in September, every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
MCGS Meeting: State & Territorial Censuses: Underused Genealogical Tools
Presenter: Bernard N. Meisner, MCGS President. Genealogists researching American families are familiar with the decennial federal census records. In this presentation Bernard will discuss the state and territorial censuses and their value in filling the gaps between the federal census ...
MCGS Meeting: Locating Confederate Forebears
Presenter: Peggy Fox Michaels. Peggy is a professional genealogist with over 30 years experience. She is a past director of the Confederate Research Center at Hill College in Hillsboro, Texas. Web site: www.locatingconfederateforebears.com