The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has more than 100 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the Federation of Genealogical Societies.
Benefits of Membership:
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one day seminars and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research and brick wall assistance pages.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month.
Starting in September, 2018, we will be meeting in the Euless Police Department Training Room, 1102 W Euless Blvd. (Hwy. 10), Euless, TX 76040. We will meet at this location until the Library remodel is complete, currently planned for April, 2020.
6:30 p.m. – Social
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
Registration for RootsTech 2019. Registration for RootsTech 2019, happening February 27–March 2, 2019, opens on Thursday, September 20, 2018! For a limited time, exclusive early bird pricing will be available on RootsTech passes. www.rootstech.org
Upload Your DNA Test Results to MyHeritage Before December 1st. As of December 1st MyHeritage's policy regarding DNA uploads will change: DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features (for example, ethnicity estimate, chromosome browser, and some others) will require an extra payment. All DNA data uploaded to MyHeritage prior to December 1, 2018, will continue to enjoy full access to all DNA features for free.
Save the Date, Friday, October 19! The Dallas and Grand Prairie Libraries to participate in special Genealogy Network of Texas Event. Both libraries will participate in a special Family History Month celebration from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
A series of eight programs will be live-streamed from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. The programs are provided by the Genealogy Network of Texas, a state-wide initiative to connect libraries/genealogical societies and provide educational and research opportunities. Topics covered will include census records, brick-wall research, autosomal DNA, Native American ancestors, preserving photographs, using land records, and locating female ancestors. See our Calendar Page
for more info.
Texas State Family History Conference.
Registration is now open for the conference to be held Friday, Nov. 2 – Sunday, Nov. 4, at the Omni San Antonio at the Colonnade in San Antonio, Texas. The early bird discount ends on October 6th. TxSGS members automatically receive an additional conference discount. Register here
Make your reservations today at the Omni San Antonio at the Colonnade, 9281 Colonnade Blvd., San Antonio, TX. The Omni is offering the TxSGS rate three days before and three days after the conference, so participants can research or go sightseeing in the area. Come early or stay after the conference to enjoy San Antonio sites or research your family history. Learn more and make your reservations online.
MyHeritage is producing a series of articles with associated videos that describe the use of DNA tests for ethnicity estimates and cousin matching. Suggest you read the Chapter 5 entry
first to understand how your test is processed.
Recreating the Public Record Office of Ireland Before the 1922 Fire
. An exciting new project – Beyond 2022
– has launched with ambitious aims to digitally recreate the six-storey building and contents of the Public Record Office of Ireland at the time of its destruction on 30 June 1922.
The project will include a virtual reality reconstruction of the building. It will also assemble a complete inventory of loss and survival from the fire and serve as a vital hub to present surviving records and substitute copies identified in archives and other repositories around the world.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Note you must re-enroll every year to participate.
Beginning in September, every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
MCGS Meeting: DNA Update
Note: We will be meeting in this new location until the Library remodel is complete! Presenter: Tresa Tatyrek Tresa Tatyrek has been interested in family history and genealogy since childhood. She began doing extensive research in 1997 on her and ...
MCGS Meeting: MyHeritage
Note: We will be meeting in this new location until the Library remodel is complete! Presenter: Kelli Merk, MCGS Treasurer MyHeritage is an online genealogy platform with web, mobile, and software products and services that was first developed and popularized ...
MCGS Meeting: Annual Holiday Party
Note: We will be meeting in this new location until the Library remodel is complete! The Society will provide the meat. Members are asked to bring a favorite holiday dish to share, and an inexpensive (~$10) wrapped gift for our ...
MCGS Meeting: The Draper Manuscripts - The Northwest and Southwest U.S. Territories
Note: We will be meeting in this new location until the Library remodel is complete! Presenter: Kelvin Meyers A fifth generation Texan and professional genealogist since 1996, Kelvin’s clients include probate attorneys, trust department of banks, the U.S. Citizenship and ...