The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has approximately 60 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the National Genealogical Society.
Benefits of Membership:
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one day seminars and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research page.
Scroll down this page to review our participation in the Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor programs.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month.
NOTE: Our March meeting will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/ tablet/cell phone will be sent to all members. All others, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for registration instructions prior to the meeting.
Please ensure your return email address IS NOT of the form: outlook_7B9BA37A2C4EABA2@outlook.com
as we are unable to reply to such addresses.
6:30 p.m. – Webinar bridge opens
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
RootsTech 2021 Conference Savings:
Family Tree Maker 2019 Software for Mac and Windows, plus 10 Months of TreeVault® Services – Only $39.95. Initial TreeVault services include: Emergency Tree® restore service, Family Tree Maker Connect mobile tree viewer, Next of Kin® tree continuity service, and Historical Weather® meteorological database.
This offer is only available through Saturday, February 27, 2021.
RootsMagic Software plus Free E-Book – Only $20.00. You’ll get RootsMagic 7 Download and Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 7 eBook (a $45 USD value) for only $20 USD! Plus, you will receive a free download of RootsMagic 8 when it is released (currently in Community Preview). This means that you can reserve a future copy of Version 8 at today’s lower Version 7 price!
This offer is only available through Monday, March 1, 2021.
Save 50% on FamilyTreeWebinars.com Memberships – Only $24.98. Learn genealogy at your own pace with a webinar membership. All live webinars are free to the public. With a webinar membership, you get on-demand access to our entire video archives, and access to the instructors' handouts. Watch via your computer or mobile device. New videos are added monthly at no additional cost.
Submit this coupon: rootstech21
This offer is only valid through Sunday, February 28, 2021.
Save 20% on all products (books and ebooks) at Genealogical Publishing Company. Use promo code RTV21 and don’t forget …. FREE SHIPPING on orders over $50.00
This offer is only available through Monday, March 9, 2021.
Save on Annual Memberships to GenealogyBank -- Only $55.95. Find stories about your ancestors in over 13,000 big city and small town newspapers dating back to 1690. Discover marriages, births, hometown news and obituaries.
Track your family back generations with U.S. Federal Census records 1790-1940. Find family facts like names, dates, residence, occupation and much more!
Plus! Search government publications and historical documents and discover casualty lists, revolutionary and civil war pension requests, widow claims, orphan petitions, land grants and more.
It is not clear when this offer will end.
February 21-28: Upload your DNA Data to MyHeritage and Get Free Access to All DNA Features. MyHeritage allows you to upload your DNA data from other providers and get DNA Matches for free, but a one-time unlock fee of $29 (or a Complete plan with MyHeritage) has been required to access the advanced DNA features — and that includes the Ethnicity Estimate and the new Genetic Groups. From February 21–28, 2021, they are waiving the unlock fee. Of course, a subscription to MyHeritage will still be necessary to access the records and family trees on their site.
RootsTech Connect 2021 to be a free, virtual conference for a worldwide audience.
The RootsTech Connect 2021 virtul be held Feb. 25-27, 2021. RootsTech is the world’s largest genealogy and technology conference of its kind. More info
Euless Public Library reopened on December 7th! The newly remodeled Mary Lib Saleh Euless Public Library reopened to the public on Dec. 7 at 9:00 a.m. Books may be checked out either curbside at the Westpark Temporary Library or the City Hall Book locker until Nov. 25.
Four week-long courses from which to choose:
- Texas Research Essentials, coordinated by Kelvin Meyers and Colleen Greene
- Advanced Southern Research Strategies, coordinated by J. Mark Lowe
- African American Research, coordinated by Ari Wilkins
- DNA and Family History, coordinated by Patricia Hobbs
Seating in each course is limited to 40 participants.
Thomas MacEntee of GenealogyBargains.com
has made available over two dozen free easy-to-use "cheat sheets"
covering wide variety of genealogical topics. He says: "Please SHARE these two-sided cheat sheets with your genealogy friends and fellow genealogy society members!"
Access The Ancestry Library Edition From Home.
ProQuest has announced that remote access to Ancestry Library Edition will continue through the end of March 2021, and will be re-evaluated monthly as needed. You must use your library card login to your public library to access the database. The Fort Worth Library
, Arlington Library
, Irving Library
and Dallas Library
are among those participating. Note the Euless Library IS NOT participating.
Genealogical Institutes in 2021.
- Using the FamilySearch Catalog (Beginner) Mon, Mar 1, 11:00 AM CST
- Navigate, Add, Edit, Standardize, and Print on FamilySearch Family Tree (Beginner) Tue, Mar 2, 11:00 AM CST
- The Research Process, Research Help, and Searching Records on FamilySearch (Beginner) Tue, Mar 9, 11:00 AM CST
Home on the Range: U.S. Federal Land Records (Beginner) Thu, Mar 18, 11:00 AM CDT
- Tips and Tricks for Finding Elusive Records in FamilySearch (Beginner) Tue, Mar 23, 11:00 AM CDT
Ask Your United States and Canada Research Questions (Beginner) Thu, Mar 25, 11:00 AM CDT
Attaching Sources to FamilySearch Family Tree (Beginner) Tue, Mar 30, 11:00 AM CDT
Many of the big institutes week long classes were conducted virtually this year. Here are the schedules for next year. The institutes, when virtual, are a great opportunity to attend without having to leave home.
- Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy will next be held January 9-14, 2022. https://slig.ugagenealogy.org/index.php
- Texas Institute of Genealogical Research is held every other year. The next institute will be June 13-18 in 2021. It will be a virtual institute with four courses. Additional information is not yet available. https://www.txsgs.org/featured-events/tigr-2019/
- Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh will be held virtually on June 20-25 and July 11-16, 2021. Registration was February 17th. Wait lists are available for most courses. The list of courses is at. https://www.gripitt.org/grip-2021-course-schedule-announced/.
- Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research is held each year in Athens, Georgia. The 2021 dates are 25-30 July. This year the Institute will be held virtually. Course registration opens Saturday, 6 March 2021 on a rolling schedule and ends for all courses at 11:55 p.m. ET (Eastern Time) on Saturday, 3 July 2021. https://ighr.gagensociety.org/ighr-2020/
Blaine Bettinger's YouTube Channel.
Covers DNA topics
including the latest tools released by Ancestry and MyHeritage.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
NOTE: We also participate in the Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Program (Complete the form and enter MCGS as Charity #8617) and Amazon Smile (On your first visit to Amazon Smile specify Mid-Cities Genealogical Society as a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. They will remember your selection, and then every subsequent eligible purchase you make at Amazon Smile will result in a donation.)
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
Search Strategies for FamilySearch.org
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Lynell Bennett Moss, Plano Family History Center Lynell has been researching her family ...
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Thomas MacEntee, High-Definition Genealogy Thomas is a genealogist specializing in the use of technology ...
Colonial America Genealogy: Canadian Ports of Entry
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Kathryn Lake Hogan, Looking4ncestors You know your ancestors came to North America from ...
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. An Open Forum is a meeting for the exchange of ideas and information, usually ...