The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has approximately 100 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the Federation of Genealogical Societies.
Benefits of Membership:
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one day seminars and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research page.
Scroll down this page to review our participation in the Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor programs.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month.
NOTE: Our October Meeting will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members.
6:30 p.m. – Webinar bridge opens
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
Join the FamilySearch Live Community
. This series will be an opportunity for the family history community to connect virtually and interact while many are practicing social distancing, quarantining, or even self-isolating. Instagram Live events (login required)
are typically scheduled for each Tuesday and Thursday at 12:00 noon Central Time. Facebook Live events (login required)
will happen each Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. Central Time.
RootsTech Connect 2021 to be a free, virtual conference for a worldwide audience.
The RootsTech 2021 conference previously planned for Feb. 3-6, 2021, in Salt Lake City, Utah, will now be held Feb. 25-27, 2021, and called “RootsTech Connect 2021.” RootsTech is the world’s largest genealogy and technology conference of its kind. More info
Access The Ancestry Library Edition From Home.
ProQuest has announced that remote access to Ancestry Library Edition will continue through the end of August 2020, and will be re-evaluated monthly as needed. You must use your library card login to your public library to access the database. The Fort Worth Library
, Arlington Library
, Irving Library
and Dallas Library
are among those participating. Note the Euless Library IS NOT participating.
Free 20 Minute Online Genealogy Consultations with A Family History Library Expert.
- Where There's a Will, There's a Probate: U.S. Probate Records (Beginner), Mon, Sep 21, 10:30 am CDT
- Perches and Rods: Introducing U.S. Land Records (Beginner), Mon, Sep 21, 12:00 noon CDT
- They're Better Than You Think: U.S. Census Records, 1790-1840 (Intermediate), Mon, Sep 21, 2:30 pm CDT
- The Tired the Poor, and the Huddled Masses: U.S. Immigration (Beginner), Tue, Sep 22, 10:30 am CDT
- Becoming American: U.S. Naturalization Research (Beginner), Tue, Sep 22, 12:00 noon CDT
- Migration Routes Across America (Beginner), Tue, Sep 22, 2:30 pm CDT
- Getting Started with U.S. Church Records Part 1: Introduction to Church Records & Anabaptists(Beginner) Wed Sep 23, 10:30 am CDT
- Getting Started with U.S. Church Records Part 2: Roman Catholic, Lutheran/Reformed, Episcopal/Anglican, Presbyterian (Beginner), Wed, Sep 23, 12:00 noon CDT
- Getting Started with U.S Church Records Part 3: Congregationalists, Quakers, Baptists, Methodists (Beginner), Wed, Sep 23, 2:30 pm CDT
Using the FamilySearch Research Wiki
, guests can schedule specific time slots in English or Spanish for their 20-minute online consultation. The booking Web page
provides time schedule information in the guest’s own local time to simplify making the connection across time zones.
Genealogical Institutes in 2021.
Many of the big institutes week long classes were conducted virtually this year. Here are the schedules for next year. The institutes, when virtual, are a great opportunity to attend without having to leave home.
Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research
is held each year in Athens, Georgia. The 2021 dates are 25-30 July. The list of courses has been announced but a decision has not been made on delivery method. https://ighr.gagensociety.org/ighr-courses/
Blaine Bettinger's YouTube Channel.
Covers DNA topics
including the latest tools released by Ancestry and MyHeritage.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
NOTE: We also participate in the Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Program (Complete the form and enter MCGS as Charity #8617) and Amazon Smile (On your first visit to Amazon Smile specify Mid-Cities Genealogical Society as a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. They will remember your selection, and then every subsequent eligible purchase you make at Amazon Smile will result in a donation.)
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
Technology Enabled Collaboration for Genealogists
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Tony Hanson, Dallas Genealogical Society. Tony has been active in genealogy since 1999, ...
Tackle Your Photos
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Maureen Taylor, The Photo Detective Maureen Taylor is an internationally recognized expert on ...
Sharing Your Family History with Your Children and Grandchildren
NOTE: This will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. Presenter: Sunny Morton Sunny Morton is a popular lecturer for the global genealogy community. ...