The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society was organized in June, 1978, and currently has approximately 60 members, primarily from the communities of Hurst, Bedford, Euless and Irving, Texas. We are a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation and a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society and the National Genealogical Society.
Benefits of Membership:
In addition to our monthly meetings we conduct group research trips to local archives and libraries, one day seminars and occasional public help sessions. Members receive our monthly newsletter, access to handouts from our speakers, genealogical forms and reference sheets, links to instructional videos, and the ability to post to our surname research page.
Scroll down this page to review our participation in the Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor programs.
The Mid-Cities Genealogical Society meets the first Thursday of each month. We continue to check with the local libraries to ascertain when it will be possible to again meet in person.
NOTE: Our July meeting will be a virtual meeting using the GoToWebinar software. Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/ tablet/cell phone will be sent to all members. All others, please email webmaster @ txmcgs.org for registration instructions prior to the meeting.
Please ensure your return email address IS NOT of the form: outlook_7B9BA37A2C4EABA2@outlook.com
as we are unable to reply to such addresses.
6:30 p.m. – Webinar bridge opens
7:00 p.m. – General Meeting
The meetings start with the introduction of new members and visitors and a short business session, followed by a speaker on a topic of genealogical or historical interest.
LivingDNA Sale Access The Ancestry Library Edition From Home.
ProQuest has announced that remote access to Ancestry Library Edition will continue through the end of December 2021
, and will continue to be re-evaluated.
You must use your library card login to your public library to access the database. The Fort Worth Library
, Arlington Library
, Irving Library
and Dallas Library
are among those participating. Note the Euless Library IS NOT participating.
New Lookup Service—For When You Can’t Visit the Family History Library or a local Family History Center.
Upon request, staff and volunteers at the Family History Library in Salt Lake will look up specific records in their collections that cannot be viewed online. Since Library Lookup is not a research service, you must identify the specific record from FamilySearch.org that you want to see.
Although the FamilySearch Web site might provide basic information from a document, frequently the original document contains more information. To use the Lookup service, use the online request form
to request a copy of the image of the original document.
Requests may take a few weeks to process, depending on the volume of requests being handled at a given time. Click here for more info.
: Save $20.00 on LivingDNA ancestry test kits – regularly $99.00, now just $79.00 during the Mothers' Day Sale! Plus get free shipping when you purchase three or more test kits! https://livingdna.com/compare
National Archives Genealogy Series, May to June 2021.
Instead of the usual single-day event, this year the National Archives will broadcast individual sessions during May and June. You are invited to watch and participate in real time with the presenters and family historians from around the world on YouTube. Over the two months, the sessions will offer family history research tools on federal records for all skill levels. The May sessions are broad and will appeal to the beginner and beyond. The June sessions are focused on specific topics and may be better suited for the experienced researcher. All are welcome! After the scheduled broadcasts, video recordings and presentation materials will be available online. Link to session descriptions, videos, handouts, and participation instructions.
Save on Annual Memberships to GenealogyBank -- Only $55.95. Find stories about your ancestors in over 13,000 big city and small town newspapers dating back to 1690. Discover marriages, births, hometown news and obituaries.
Track your family back generations with U.S. Federal Census records 1790-1940. Find family facts like names, dates, residence, occupation and much more!
Plus! Search government publications and historical documents and discover casualty lists, revolutionary and civil war pension requests, widow claims, orphan petitions, land grants and more.
It is not clear when this offer will end.
Genealogical Institutes in 2021.
Thomas MacEntee of GenealogyBargains.com
has made available over two dozen free easy-to-use "cheat sheets"
covering wide variety of genealogical topics. He says: "Please SHARE these two-sided cheat sheets with your genealogy friends and fellow genealogy society members!"
- Attaching Sources to FamilySearch Family Tree (Beginner) Tue, Jun 15, 11:00 AM CDT
- Merging Duplicate Records in FamilySearch Family Tree (Beginner) Tue, Jun 22, 11:00 AM CDT
- Correcting Relationships in FamilySearch Family Tree (Beginner) Tue, Jun 29, 11:00 AM CDT
- Using the FamilySearch Catalog (Beginner) Mon, Jul 5, 11:00 AM CDT
- Using the FamilySearch Wiki (Beginner) Tue, Jul 20, 11:00 AM CDT
- The Research Process: Analyzing and Evaluating U.S. Records (Beginner) Thu. Jul 29, 11:00 AM CDT
Many of the big institutes week long classes were conducted virtually this year. Here are the schedules for next year. The institutes, when virtual, are a great opportunity to attend without having to leave home.
- Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy will next be held January 9-14, 2022. https://slig.ugagenealogy.org/index.php
- Texas Institute of Genealogical Research is held every other year. The next institute will be June 13-18 in 2021. It will be a virtual institute with four courses. https://www.txsgs.org/featured-events/tigr-2019/
- Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh will be held virtually on June 20-25 and July 11-16, 2021. Registration was February 17th. Wait lists are available for most courses. The list of courses is at. https://www.gripitt.org/grip-2021-course-schedule-announced/.
- Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research is held each year in Athens, Georgia. The 2021 dates are 25-30 July. This year the Institute will be held virtually. Course registration opened Saturday, 6 March 2021 on a rolling schedule and ends for all courses at 11:55 p.m. ET (Eastern Time) on Saturday, 3 July 2021. https://ighr.gagensociety.org/ighr-2020/
Blaine Bettinger's YouTube Channel.
Covers DNA topics
including the latest tools released by Ancestry and MyHeritage.
Kroger Community Rewards, Amazon Smile & Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Programs
Linking your Kroger Plus Card to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society is a painless way that you can provide a financial benefit of a percentage of your purchases at Kroger stores to the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
NOTE: We also participate in the Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Program (Complete the form and enter MCGS as Charity #8617) and Amazon Smile (On your first visit to Amazon Smile specify Mid-Cities Genealogical Society as a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. They will remember your selection, and then every subsequent eligible purchase you make at Amazon Smile will result in a donation.)
Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
members can enroll their Kroger Plus Card online at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
. Every time an enrolled participant shops at Kroger using his or her Kroger Plus Card, the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society
will begin accumulating credits.
To participate in this program, follow these instructions:
- Register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com
- Customers must have a registered Kroger Plus card account to link to Mid-Cities Genealogical Society.
- If you don't have a Kroger Plus Card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger store.
- If you are a new online customer, click on the “Create An Account” button.
- You can sign up for a Kroger Community Rewards account by entering your zip code, clicking on your favorite store, entering your email address, creating a password, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
Already have a Kroger.com account?
- Click on the “Sign In” button and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter the Mid-Cities Genealogical Society Organization Number (90414) and click on the Confirm button.
- To verify that you are enrolled correctly, you will see an orange "View Your Rewards Details" button on the page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for our Mid-Cities Genealogical Society until after you've registered your card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Plus Card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus Card or use their Alt ID (phone number) when shopping for each purchase to count.
You can confirm your enrollment by looking for "You are contributing to MID-CITIES GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY" at the bottom of your register receipt.
Monthly Meeting: Tips and Tricks for Deciphering Foreign Language Records
Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/ tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. All others, please email webmaster @ txmcgs.org for registration instructions prior to the meeting. Presenter: Katherine Schober, SK Translations Learn the must-know tips and ...
Monthly Meeting: Election of Officers & Annual Ice Cream Social
Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/ tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. All others, please email webmaster @ txmcgs.org for registration instructions prior to the meeting. Presenter: Sue Kaufman, Senior Manager of the Clayton Library Center ...
Monthly Meeting: Society of Sons and Daughters of World War II
Instructions on how to connect using your home computer/ tablet/smartphone will be sent to all members. All others, please email webmaster @ txmcgs.org for registration instructions prior to the meeting. Presenter: Savannah Brady, Assistant Director of Development and Membership, National ...