This cemetery was developed adjacent to the site of the Bear Creek Missionary Baptist Church, which was organized in 1853 by a small group of settlers. The earliest marked grave is that of Hiram Jackson Farris (d 1858), the infant son of G. W. and Mary Farris. Isham Crowley (1798-1878), who came to Texas as a member of Peters colony, donated four acres of land for the church and cemetery in 1876. Still in use,
In 1887 the church moved, abandoning the cemeter. A group of volunteers filed with the State of Texas to place the cemetery into a Charitable Trust. Bear Creek Cemetery is the burial site of many early Tarrant County pioneers.